Saturday, February 27, 2010

NCAA Ski Race: Steamboat and Howelson

This weekend was the NCAA Western Regionals for ski racing and I volunteered again to get my friends another pass for over spring break.

The first race was Giant Slalom on Friday at Steamboat, bright and early at 7:45am. The race didn't start until closer to 9, but they wanted us gatekeepers to be there early to go over our duties and get us into position. Thankfully it was a really nice day out unlike last race I worked at which was most awful. The level of racing was really too since the teams in it were made up of many people who were actually recruited from other countries just for racing, so there were some really fast skiers. I unfortunately forgot my video camera this day so here are just a couple pictures from my cell phone camera.

Beautiful view of Steamboat.

My view of the bottom of the course.

My seat when things were slow.

The following night, Saturday, was the race under the lights. The same teams competed in the slalom race at Howelson Hill, but this race was thankfully not until 6pm. Us gatekeepers were asked to get there at 4:45pm for the same reasons. This race was unfortunately much colder since it was at night. I did however remember my video camera so I made this little edit of some CMCers racing, along with a picture of my view of the course. Peace.


No comments: