Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Open Gym.

Last night I was finally able to participate in open gym at Excel Gymnastics in Riverside Plaza hear in Steamboat and it was awesome!

Excel has open gym every Monday and Thursday from 7pm until I think 9, but as my schedule worked out, I have class every Monday and Thursday night at 6pm. Lucky for me, my Monday night teacher was out of town for Thanksgiving, so I couldn't pass up this opportunity to go.

The night actually started with a little board tuning in the room, which I do not recommend because as we found out the hard way, it is quite frowned upon to wax your board or skis in your room. So after that was some quick dinner, then our friend Vince picked Bacon and I up at the dorms and the three of us along with Vince's friend from back home were off to Excel.

After a rough stop at Taco Bell where they messed up the order, we arrived at Excel a little after 7pm. They give you the option of paying for an hour or hour and a half session, and being that non of us were gymnasts and assumed we'd either get exhausted or hurt, we went with the hour. For students with a valid student ID, it is only $12 for an hour, or $18 for an hour and a half (I think it is $15 and $21 if you don't have a student ID).

Just so you know Vince did take some pictures so I will be posting those when I can but I don't have them just yet.

But anyway, the gym is awesome. They what I imagine is every gymnastics feature you could want, and a few of each for that matter. They have a long narrow trampoline that ends in a foam pit for practicing floor routines, as well as a spring board and a small square trampoline, both ending in a safe foam pit. We spent most of our time playing around on the tramp and spring board, doing handplants off the practice pommel horses and myself learning misty spins.

In addition to all that fun, we played around on the big floor trampoline for a little bit before it started crowding up. Open gym really wasn't crowded overall, but the majority of people were on the big trampoline.

After our hour was up I was definitely tired, but it was so much fun that I think I could for sure stay for the full hour and a half. Unfortunately, I have class again every Monday and Thursday, so I probably won't get to go again until next semester, but I guess it will just be something else to look forward too.

But now I have to finish packing for my adventure to Park City, Utah to visit some relatives for Thanksgiving, so be sure to check back soon to hear about the trip. Peace.

No comments: