Monday, October 26, 2009

Perks of CMC Classes/Opportunities.

For those of you who are followers of the Collarbone Chronicles, you've probably read my blogs about the SIA Tradeshow and the Product Design class offered here at the Alpine Campus. For those of you who haven't, here is a quick recap so you'll understand just a little more of what this blog is about:

I went to the SIA Tradeshow in Vegas last year to intern with Rome SDS (Snowboard Design Syndicate). Basically I did anything and everything they asked me too, which included running any sort of errand to helping out their sales reps with sales presentations to even getting to provide feedback on what gear to produce for the next season. After all was said and done, Ron (the guy I contacted about working for Rome) told me to e-mail him when I got home so he could send me a snowboard and bindings for working for them. Basically SIA was awesome and super worthwhile so anyone who comes out here for the Ski and Snowboard Business Program should try to go, although unfortunately it's not in Vegas anymore.

In Product Design class, groups are formed at the beginning of the semester, each group being a different company. For the midterm, each group gives a presentation about their company to a panel of judges, and one group is selected for the whole class to become a part of and work on until the final. It was a great class that makes you think about all the aspects that go into a snowboard company, plus a snowboard or pair of skis actually get made and everyone in the class gets one, which is really awesome if you ask me.

So now to the main point; I got my snowboards.





The first picture is of the top sheets and the second is of the bases. The board on the left is the Rome Graft, one of Rome's middle to higher-end park boards. The bindings I'm getting with it are a pair of demo 390s, Rome's freestyle binding, coming from one of the summer camps Rome went to so they probably won't be here for a little while yet.

The board on the right is the Able to Believe snowboard that we made in Product Design class and had built by Never Summer. I was a little bummed because I sent Never Summer our graphic three times because there were some mistakes in it as well as Never Summer lost it once, but the graphic they ended up using is one of the ones with a mistake in it. In the leprechauns beard there is a 52 because I originally thought the board was going to be 152cm, however, the sizes we went with are 151 and 153, so the 52 really makes no sense there. Also, we had a base that we designed specifically for the die-cut process of base making which Never Summer uses, but they stuck with their logo instead. Frankly, they are minor details that I really don't care about, I'm just stoked to ride the boards.

So there you go, hopefully it didn't seem like I was trying to brag too much, but I just wanted to give you a little glimpse into the perks of life as a CMC student in the Ski and Snowboard Business Program. Peace.

No comments: