Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Snow Update.

Snow has been falling in Colorado. I'm still not used to getting to snowboard this early so I thought I'd write about the snow situation around the state.

Today was a pretty rainy and cold day here in town, which means up on the peaks and especially Buff Pass, it was snowing. The set-up we had on Buff has definitely changed a bit too. The spot we had started at with the corrugated tube is still there, but now has a jump and a barrel bonk to hit.

With more and more people coming up, there was bound to be some new features coming with them. Farther up Buff, some people set up a flat rail and single barrel rail. I had a lot of fun on the tube but these rails are way better. On top of that, a bunch of students built a couple jumps to the left of the rails, and some were even so determined to ride powder, they hiked a ways up from the rails to take some turns. I was having to much fun on the rails to think about hiking, but I'm sure it was pretty worth it.

Despite the snow shenanigans happening around the Boat, Colorado itself has been doing some big things. Apparently quite awhile ago, Peak 9 of Breckenridge had a few rails set up. I heard some students talking about going, but otherwise I don't know to much about except that it is really high up Breck. Besides that, the riding season has officially started. A-Basin and Loveland are officially open with about a 20" base and snow falling pretty regularly on top of some snowmaking. My friends Tyler and Jordan actually went to A-Basin today with nothing but good things to say.

Well there you have it, snowboarding is in session here in CO. Unfortunately, Steamboat doesn't open until Nov. 25, but I should get a few more trips to Buff and maybe even one or two to A-Basin or Loveland before then, but for now I'll just keep waiting for the Champagne Powder. Peace.

No comments: